Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Gays Are People Too: Bad Music



Honestly, I don't know why gays and lesbians need separate music. This all started with Sony launching "Music with a Twist," a label "dedicated to nurturing lesbian, gay, bisexual and trans-gendered artists." [Reuters]

Okay, so I get it. You're gay. You want to sing. But what is Music With A Twist going to offer that I couldn't get on, say, Dreamworks who has Rufus Wainwright. Or simply stick with regular Sony, who has the Indigo Girls. Scissor Sister is already on Universal, and there's lots of horrible house music on whatever label keeps pumping that shit out. And trannies are abound. Antony and the Johnsons is on Secretly Canadian and Le Tigre's drummer on Universal. So what is the point of making a gay-centric label? To foster the 'mos in their efforts to be creative (because homosexuals have never been known as creative before):

The label also plans to release various compilations geared towards gay and bisexual audiences, as well as music fans everywhere, featuring hit songs by established artists that have been embraced by gay, bisexual and trans-gendered audiences as well as tracks from emerging gay artists.


Oh my god! Thank Jesus! Finally, I can get all of the awful awful house music I've wanted. You know, the over produced synth pop with some soulful singer crooning and screaming "You got to" or "I've had it" or "Baby" over and over. And does this mean NSync, Britney Spears and all the other top 40 trash that EVERY SINGLE HOMOSEXUAL loves?

Fuck Music With A Twist. Is it possible that gays are not a homogeneous group and that efforts to put them in one is a bad idea? And what about a band with one homosexual, do they go to Music With a Twist? Does Iron Maiden Judas Priest [thanks Joey] get re-released because their leader singer was a fag? All I know is that when something is geared towards the "Gay Me," I tend to not like it. Like Logo -- with their specials on tanning or the best place to travel for gay clubs that are, other than the color of the people in it, still gay bars blasting house and pop -- do I really want music simply because it is just gay. I like music because I like the melody, the rhythm, the lyrics, the whatever. I do not like it because it's got some who gets fucked in the ass or fisted. I just don't care and think efforts to pigeonhole someone as a "gay" artist is a bad idea. Let the art speak for itself.

And despite the fact that this is a bad idea, there's AOL's new section:
G Sides, Music for the LGBT Community

Honestly, if I was young and starting to realize I was gay, I would not come out if I thought my sexual orientation meant listening to fucking house music, Cyndi Lauper and Boy George.



Special Note: Okay, so the image at the very top is from Sid Spencer, a real honest-to-God homosexual country singer. I happened to find him while searching for images to use, and I really feel like that album cover is the best album cover of all time. I salute him.

1 Comments:

At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree...
it should be about the music and not who's making it.

p.s. minor note, but it was Judas Priest whose lead singer, Rob Halford, who is gay. I just figure I better let you know, since you'll be listening to quite a bit of it, oh...TOMORROW. See you soon. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home