Saturday, April 05, 2008

One of the Top 1000 Pop Hits of the 1980's

I've been making my way through the Top 1000 Pop Hits of the 1980's. I've been tackling it at about 100 songs a week and I'm almost done. The weird thing about this collection is that it is definitely not from America. I have no idea where it's from really, but my European friend recognizes all of the pop songs which leads me to believe whoever compiled this list is from Europe (and I think they are dutch). Also, the person who compiled this has an extremely loose understanding of the term "80's." I'd say two-thirds of songs are from the 80's and one third are from the 90's and 70's.

There are a few amazing classic gems in this collection. I mean, a vast majority of it is horrible 80's crap. Like bad, no name teeny-bop syth pop songs or mid-tempo adult cotemp ballads. But when I stumble onto something new and unexpected, it's totally worth it. Here is one of the first songs I want to pick out from this collection. It's "Hey You" by the group Rock Stead Crew. From Wikipedia "Rock Steady Crew is a breakdancing crew and hip hop group that was established in the Bronx borough of New York City in 1977. The New York Times calls the Rock Steady Crew 'the foremost breakdancing group in the world today'" This song is amazing and I just stumbled across the video today:

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, you, The Rock Steady Crew. Show'em what you do! Make'em break make'em move!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home