Wednesday, June 25, 2008

One of the Top 1000 Pop Hits of the 1980's, 3

I've been making my way through the Top 1000 Pop Hits of the 1980's. This post explains a bit about this 4.3 GB collection of music. Every so often I'm going to pick one out and feature one of the best and unexpected songs and post it on my blog so you don't have to dig through it.

This song is not something that I've discovered as much as "re-discovered."  I have extremely vivid memories of this video growing up.  Not the future predicting specifics of the video, like the rainbow shooting across the Brooklyn Bridge (which I guess metaphorically predicted the faggot migration to Brooklyn) or the Jackson's spreading "magic" powders on to young boys. 

No, I remember the Jacksons as the freaky Roman-esque gods.  This instilled in my subconscious that these guys were really really important.  And this video was fucking cool as hell.  It was so ahead of it's time!  I forgot how crazy-happy us New Yorkers are about their presence, though I don't really know any time other the gay pride people are okay with glitter anthrax-like stuff falling from the sky in New York.   Anyway, this song is pretty good.  The video is the best encapsulation of 80's stereotypes, like using Star Wars sound effects and heavy handily trying to integrate some sort of "message."


Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home