Monday, June 16, 2008

Calendars of Free New York City Events

I think the most important thing about new york city in the summer is air conditioning. Besides the fact that I smell like B.O. all day and sweat in new and undiscovered places, summer in the city is also about free stuff.

But what free stuff to do? You could read the L Magazine and suffer through its insufferable writing. You could comb through asian massage/prostitution ads in the Village Voice. I'm also lazy and generally spur of the moment, so this cuts out all of these things.

The solution is Google Calendars and its auto-magically telling me what free stuff is happening. All you have to do is activate google calendars and subscribe to these calendars below. You can subscribe by clicking "+ Google Calendar" in the bottom right.

This is also selfish. When you find free things to do, invite me along. Otherwise I will spend the whole summer alone with my crouch open to my A/C.

"Free Summer In New York 2008" is a calendar anyone can add to. It's the most comprehensive I've seen so far and includes a lot of random stuff like Yoga in Bryant Park or the thing i'm excited about, "Drag Shoe Video Verite" this Thursday. It also includes the impossibly crowded Bryant Park movies and the impossibly hip McCarren Pool movies.


This next one is basically the same thing, and considering how packed that last one is, they surprisingly don't overlap that much. This is called Free New York City Summer and seems to be slightly more "upscale" free, emphasizing Jazz, classical and ballet events around the city.


Free NYC Museums is more of a repetitive calendar just reminding you that you should never pay for museums (or ever pay for the MEt, which is "donation" only and means you only have to pay to get that clippy pen thing and you can pay-- and I always pay with-- a penny to get two people in). Anyway, look at Fridays: MOMA, Museum of Moving Images, Asia Society, Bronx Museum, Met Opera, Guggenheim, Whitney, NY Historical Society, Brooklyn Botanical Garden and the American Folk museum are all free. Let's take Friday off!


Is there a good one I'm missing? Post a comment and let me know.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home